Nothing Is Set In Stone But I Do Need Help.

Good Morning world and thanks for tuning in to another day here on Planet Magnet. The Planet where smiles abound and the inhabitants are relaxed and enjoying the status quo of life, even when it throws an unexpected curve ball or two into the mix of the daily grind.

But today my curve ball is quite an crap one really even though I have been worrying about this one coming at me for a few weeks now.

I am concerned about my charity walk and the fact that I have not really gotten as far into it as I may possibly have expected.

The take up has not been quite as high as expected at a grass roots level and even though there are higher profile companies involved, I still find this a trifle disappointing.

Also, my training has not been going as well as expected due to a constant feeling of having no energy since my last B12 shot. It is as though all of my get up and go has got up and gone.

I now need to ask myself what do I do about it all.

Q:Do I simply cancel the entire thing and arrange for everyone’s money to be returned?

A: Not a chance. I set myself a challenge and I will be completing it.

Q: Do I postpone indefinitely until we have gotten to the bottom of my ongoing ailment?

A: Hopefully not, this is not something that I want to leave hanging “out there” as I project I will come back to when I have time.

Q: Do I give myself another three months by doing the walk in early September?

A: Possible…

Q: Do I postpone by a month and simply go in July ?

A: Maybe. But will I have the answers that I require.

Q: Do I shorten the walk down to one trail? Or possibly do The Ridgeway twice?

A: Well I suppose doing it this way, if there are any issues I am local to home and any help I might require.

Or do I just carry on regardless and still aim for June and hope that by the time it comes I have some answers for my lack of energy and engagement?

You can see the quandary that I am in. I REALLY WANT to do my walk. I am absolutely certain about that. BUT, I feel I need to be realistic with the day fast approaching and be honest enough to know when things are not quite right.

I have a check up at the GP’s booked and I have a Blood Draw booked in so we maybe might see what is wrong with me fairly soon but until then the clock keeps ticking and although I am active and getting along with life, I don’t honestly feel like I am making the headway I possibly should be making.

I now ask you guys to give me your opinions on this and tell me what I should do, because I for one am at a bit of a loss…..

57 thoughts on “Nothing Is Set In Stone But I Do Need Help.

1. Amanda says:

Cameron I am SO sorry you’re going through this. My gut feeling is that you should wait to see what the doctor says before you alter any of your plans. Perhaps pushing your walk to July at the very least should be considered, and based on what your doctor says you can then consider September. The goal can and will be achieved but you can’t jeapodize your health for the sake of it. I have a friend who has been training like mad for a marathon. She realized a couple of months before the event that she just couldn’t get past a certain mileage point without feeling serious pain in spite of how much she trained and kept to a strict clean diet. She finally made the decision to run the half, was disappointed, but in the end it was better for her health and long term commitment to running. Sometimes God tells us in His way what our limits are for a reason. Just keep doing what you’re doing as best you can, and find out what the doctor says. THEN Q&A yourself. Hugs and love…

Thanks Amanda, you are very sweet to say this and I appreciate it very much indeed. I think some very heavy duty considerations must be made in order for me to change any plans but I make them I shall when I have all of the information at hand.

2. fattymccupcakes says:

I would wait to make a decision until you find out more about what is going on, health-wise. I would not cancel indefinitely. You have put far too much into this and we all want to see you complete it and be successful. I must have missed a post about your health. What is going on? Energy issues, or something more? Are you deficient in B12? If not, the shots likely won’t give you the boost you’re looking for. I hope you are OK!!

Bummer….I think and agree with the fact you should make no decisions until you see your MD and have some test…I would certainly get his opinion on the walk as in terms to your heath and well being…your health first…feel better my friend…and try not to worry…one step at a time…get some medical answers then I will bet some of those questions will be answered….hugs..kat

4. Lynz Real Cooking says:

I agree with the comments, see what the dr. says and how your general health is and then move forward in whatever way is best. Sometimes we get so locked into something and it seems so huge and impossible. You are getting your message out there and doing a great job. Sometimes the message is, life happens, things change!

5. Doctor Jonathan says:

You have two different components that need to be addressed. There are physical issues as well as mental (emotional) issues. Either one can be causing the other. I think your concern about “failure” is also contributing to the dilemma.

Remember what the “bottom line” is; raising awareness about childhood obesity. It’s not about Cameron and a challenge that 99% of the population would never attempt. It’s about your desire to help children avoid the problems you faced growing up.

Take a little pressure off your shoulders by recognizing the degree of personal challenge you pursue will NOT create greater awareness for the cause that means so much to you (HENRY.) I believe you will find greater reward with significantly less anxiety and physical complications by talking more about the charity and less about your (laudable) personal goal. It doesn’t matter if you walk the full distance, half the distance or even a quarter of the distance. If you can raise awareness for HENRY you have SUCCEEDED!

I suggest you take a little time to reconsider the best approach to helping a charity that means so much to you without causing yourself personal harm. You don’t have to prove anything to anyone. Your compassion and desire to help already puts you on a level far surpassing the average person focused on their personal lives and wants often at the expense of others.

My advice, therefore, is to take care of your personal health needs FIRST! Then you can decide what approach will gain HENRY the exposure and financial support needed.

I hope this helps you.

Gosh Jonathan, thank you so much for taking the time to reply in such detail. You really do hit the nail on the head. I worry a little about not completing what I set out to do even though I know I am doing far more than many others will ever do. I also know that I will continue to try to get the word out for HENRY as best as I can so I really do need to get my health right before I start making decisions.
      Either way I must give myself a little break from trying to be someone I think people are expecting me to be, when in fact they aren’t really expecting anything from me at all.
      All will be clear soon I am sure.
      Thank you again.

• Doctor Jonathan says:

Great introspection. You have significantly grown and developed over the short period of time I know you (through our writings) and simply need to take your own words to heart. Never worry about what others expect from you. If you are an ethical and honest caring person, no one will judge you harder than YOU! If you are satisfied with who you are, it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks or says.
        Take all the time necessary; HENRY and the obesity epidemic isn’t going anywhere. You will have plenty of time, energy and effort to offer this wonderful organization.
        As for the contributions, anyone that believes in you and donated from their heart will remind you it was offered without a deadline!
        Smile, my friend; there are plenty of really good days ahead.

Wow. Again!
        Thank you Jonathan.
        As I said to Fiona at Half Baked, it is a long winded affair changing from what I was to what I want to be. After all, 48 years as a different person is a long legacy to shake. I will get there though without a doubt.
        Thanks again Dr J πŸ™‚

Sorry fella – there was a bit before that which said something like ‘postpone a bit’ – but over and above all I will I will I will and you won’t hav a bluddy choice if I’m with you and you know it!! (talk to Chape about my personal challenge and then try to avoid – and guess what – if it takes us a month it really doesn’t matter) xx

• Osyth says:

The no nonsense Trunch replied on her phone before reading any of the other responses. And of course they are right. Particularly Dr J – you must take the pressure off you, understand how much good you are doing simply by doing what you do – blogging here, and other social media stuff. the most important thing is, doubtless to look after yourself, preserve yourself and make yourself whole and well. The walk (and it is hardly a stroll, is it?) will happen if it is meant to and you must no beat yourself up if it doesn’t. I speak as someone with ridiculously high standards who thinks that if she doesn’t keep them up should wear a hair shirt and walk on glass through fire on a daily basis in bare feet. Nyada – it’s not sensible to be like that, to have unfeasibly high even unattainable standards and standing in front of the mrror, addressing who you are, what you CAN do and doing it is so much more valuable. And you do that every single day of your life. So if this aint to be it aint to be. However, The Bean and I do demand that we walk a little of The Ridgeway with you and Archie when we are all together and at the very least we let go some balloons with messages tied to them from all your followers to be picked up wherever they land …. that in itself might spread the word in a rather delightful way πŸ™‚

Oooh! I love the idea of balloons. I love a laboon…. Even more with a message from me tied to it. Yay!!!
        We shall meet for sure in Auguist my dear Trunch and we shall walk and our dogs shall enjoy their gambol as if lambs.
        I really do appreciate all that everyone has said so I promise to be checked out and I promise not to pressure myself and put such high expectations upon myself.
        Promise Miss Trunchbull πŸ™‚

• Osyth says:

I predict that you will get a lot of support for a laboon floating …. I predict that Archie and The Bean will get lots of support for gambolling lamb-stylee. I predict that I will simply be standing and staring and feeling proud of whatever you do. I predict that I will always be your friend and I predict that I will look back from my death-bed and bless the moment Jane put us in touch. So there πŸ™‚ x

• Osyth says:

There is no such thing as luck. It is the collison of preparation and opportunity. Get that? Preparation is all that you have put in. Opportunity is all that you are creating. Throat lumps and teary eyes are very very good. We are human (I am anyway πŸ˜‰ ) and we are emotional thank goodness. You are loved big man. And you will get the recognition you deserve. One way or another. And its often not the way we think it will be or plan it to be. So there. The Trunch (I almost put Trump there which was NOT intentional) is wise πŸ™‚ x

• Osyth says:

I will stay away from The Trump but I have to say we need to stay away from the lying cheating Hilarious C too which leaves no candidates. Praps the Amer-eecans could declare their election nul and void? You can, however disagree with me but there will be consequences if you get it wrong!!!

7. Meritings says:

What terrific advice and support from everyone. Doctor Jonathan hit the nail on the head. You and your health are of the utmost importance and nothing, absolutely nothing, is worth you putting your wellbeing at risk. You need the doctor’s advice first, then, if you need to postpone, you need to consider the heat and weather conditions throughout the Summer months, so probably not consider doing until September or October. No one will think any the less of you if you have to reduce the distance, or increase the time, or indeed cancel this project. There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say. (No cats were harmed in the writing of this comment!)

8. chape says:

Hi, Cameron!
    I think your blood test will be ok. As we can read, there is a lot going on through your head right now. And you are missing the point: a charity walk is a good reason to keep you motivated. ItΒ΄s not a competition and it shouldnΒ΄t stress you. YouΒ΄ve written at Justgiving: “I feel that combining something that I really do enjoy with something really worthwhile is the perfect way to help”.
    Sometimes training isnΒ΄t fun, but IΒ΄m sure youΒ΄ll enjoy the Ridgeway, and any money and your example will help a lot of children.
    Hugs

9. thelonelyauthorblog says:

I have no knowledge of the B12 shot. Does this sap energy? Not sure what you are going to decide, but postponing a month to July may make it more grueling in the heat of the summer months. Best of luck with what you decide. I am sure you are up for the challenge.

I don’t have any great advice to provide that hasn’t already been provided. I think a few have hit it on the head though that you may be tapping into your own fear of failure too. Obviously you need to confirm you are healthy enough to complete the walk first. If you get the all clear, you need to just go for it. Scary stuff and all. Really fear is just excitement without the breath. Breathe my friend and go accomplish your goals!