Easter Egg Anxiety….

Good morning world and thanks for tuning in to another day here on Planet Magnet!

It is Easter Sunday!

Relax and take a load off!

Unless of course you are in the frame for providing the big lunch and get together for everyone else…

No, if that’s the case, start panicking and get the stress head ready because after all, when the shops are closed, it is the very day you actually need something….. 😉

As for me, I have been invited to a friends for lunch. I have not met any of the other people going so as ever my anxiety is getting a little unwelcome outing but I shall try to keep that at bay, put my head above the parapet and get on with it.

What is strange is that now matter how far I feel I have come over the past year, at the drop of a hat (or invite to be precise) I can still feel like this.

Anxious.

But it is anxious over the silliest of things.

I start off relaxed and at ease, then I count the time down to when I am due to be leaving and things start to change. My breathing becomes not difficult per-Se, but noticeably different to me and that is when the palpitations raise their ugly little heads. I then begin to feel almost ill at ease and have to discuss these feelings with myself, trying to relax and rationalise the fact that there should be no reason for me to feel like this.
In fact, as I sit here writing this my heart is beating quicker, my breathing noticeably different and yet I cannot fathom why because there is nothing to fear.

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

That was from Frank Herbert’s Dune. I know it is a little extreme but it sums up on different levels how I feel. Today is a very mild case of anxiety due to irrational fear. Other times it is a huge case of anxiety and regardless of how silly or irrational it may seem to another, the above is how I feel.
What I struggle to understand is why I exhibit these irrational feelings when I am going to places of warmth, love and friendship. If I am faced with a very real situation where I could possibly be harmed, I do not even consider the emotion of fear. Fear has no place then. Fear is a pointless emotion because it will only serve to weaken me. Now, in all fairness that type of situation never really happens anymore and of that I am truly glad, but it is weird why it should have me feel like my heart is in my mouth when I am faced with nothing but welcome, yet feel nothing when I am faced with a serious situation….

Go figure….!

Anyway, today I shall do my very best to deal with these feelings, I shall get myself over the threshold of awkwardness and I shall try to relax even if I am still not indulging in the worlds number one relaxant, good old alcohol. I shall be smiling and chipper and it will soon become second nature to be a happy and relaxed Magnet.

Besides, I want to be there as my best pal is there too and that is what makes it all worth while… 🙂

So I leave you guys today with wishes of a very Happy Easter and I hope you enjoy your day whatever it is you decide to do.

Happy Easter!

‘Till Tomorrow,

29 thoughts on “Easter Egg Anxiety….

1. chattykerry says:

I feel your pain. Despite my outward appearance, social anxiety pops up when I least expect it. The last week has been especially anxious for me but it is always a little better when I just put my happy face on and get on with it. Have fun today, Dear Cameron.

2. lynne hoareau says:

Oh no, Cameron. That is not fun 😦 I hope that anxiety fades away soon. The good thing is your friend is there, so that should really help. I do feel for you though…. I really will be thinking of you and hope you have an enjoyable time. Happy Easter 🙂

We have been invited to a little get together on Tuesday…we are not socialites…LOL we would rather sit home by ourselves and do what we like….so I feel your anxiety….we will go, meet everyone and try to remember names…LOL and then use the ole, we left a dog at home excuse to leave….thank goodness for old dogs…LOL you will have a fantastic time….your so loveable, who could resist…LOL not to mention your a lean, mean, fighting machine…LOL as far as your up coming walk…I could tell you have nothing to fear and be anxious about, but it is only natural that you are, but deep breaths…your going into this completely prepared and with the attitude of a winner, you will do your best, in fact I believe you will do better than your best, you will 150% and then more!!! so you got this!!! But fear and anxiety only means your human…and there is nothing wrong with that…..Happy Easter my friend…enjoy your lunch…XXkat

Wow!!!
      Thank you Kat!
      I feel I could take on the world after those kind words 🙂
      I have no doubt that the walk will be a challenge, however I shall most definitely be putting EVERY effort into it that I can so it will be the sparkling success that we need it to be….!

4. milliethom says:

Many of us feel this kind of anxiety when faced with social situations, particularly when unfamiliar faces will be there. But it can occur when we’re heading for somewhere where we know everyone and a lovely welcome awaits. Perhaps it’s the fear of just being with others and having to ‘socialise’? For people used to solitude, that is often an issue – though in your case, I don’t know whether you spend much time alone or not. Anyway, you’re sure to have a lovely day with your friends. Great quote about fear, by the way. 🙂

It is odd. I don’t spend that much time alone nowadays but I did for several years. I would be quite happy just sitting at home on my own being left alone to do what I wanted to do. I am sure that this has formed a great deal of my anxiety because I never used to feel like it. A great deal of it will be linked to self image and not having a good one for many years. Now I am much better and I feel like I am “normal” it still struggles to translate when faced with social situations. Sunday was a day where there were three people I knew and nine that I did not so hence the struggle. That said, I can have the same feelings when I am with people that I know very well.
      Quite strange but I am sure I will conquer it one day….. 🙂

When you were in environments that may have caused anxieties in the past, you knew that your buddy, “alcohol”, could always be sought after if needed. In fact, you might have used this “friend” prior to experiencing the need, as “preventative medicine.”
    Today, you stand on your own two feet without any crutches to support you. Intoxicating substances no longer provide a veil to disguise the real Cameron. The realization that you NOW, face the world (for better or worse) without anything to “hide” behind can easily cause anxiety. As you begin to see the FEAR created in your mind is worse than the actual situation, you will gain greater perspective and confidence. You do NOT always have to be GREAT and SUCCESSFUL; you need to be TRUTHFUL (to yourself) and KIND (to others) to overcome your personal fears. Once your inner judge is satisfied with the person you are, it won’t matter how others judge you. The anxiety and accompanying fear will simply dissipate.

Holy crap. This could be one of those self help quotes Jonathan!
      What absolutely wonderful words and so absolutely spot on in my case.
      Yes I used to have a few drinks before a social situation so that I did not “worry” about what was happening or whom I was with. Obviously nowadays I do not have that crutch and therefore everything seems so much more real to me but this is a choice I have made and as you say the fear is created in my mind and never anything like the social situation.
      I am still on a long journey but it is made so much easier with kind words like these so thank you SO much Jonathan. Thank you.