Diabesity…. What?

Good morning world and thanks for tuning in to another day here on Planet Magnet. Ordinarily this would just be another day farther into the week but because of Easter I am pleased to tell you that today is just like a Friday because tomorrow we rest!

Woo Hoo!!!

So today, seeing as it is the last day of serious time for a few days, has got me thinking about something I heard said the other week on the radio and because Thursday is this weeks Friday (and Friday is the day I get most traffic through the site) I figured I had better post a thought provoking missive that might keep you sustained until the week begins back next Tuesday…..

Yes Tuesday….

So what have I got my knickers in a knot about?

A word is all.

Diabesity.

What?

Diabesity.

What? Like Brangelina? or Bennifer? or TomKat? or Kimye?

Yeah, I suppose so.

Awful isn’t it?

Taking two extremely serious diseases and making one word from it simply because it fits.

Google describes it as thus:

Diabesity ˌdʌɪəˈbiːsɪti/

noun

informal noun: diabesity
  1. Used to refer to a form of diabetes which typically develops in later life and is associated with being obese.
    “regular exercise helps prevent diabesity”

Ridiculous.

Diabesity: A growing problem

The rapid increase in the prevalence of obesity, type-2 diabetes and associated complications (diabesity) is a major global health problem.  In Europe alone, approximately 33 million adults will be suffering from diabetes by 2010, and obesity, which is a major recognised risk factor for type-2 diabetes, is itself rapidly increasing in prevalence resulting in a diabesity epidemic.  The current cost of type-2 diabetes in the European Union is 15 billion Euros per year, and medical complications arising from diabetes account for up to 8% of total health costs in Europe.  For most people, neither dieting nor current pharmacological interventions are effective in achieving long-term weight reduction.  Thus to prevent and treat diabesity we must develop approaches to modulate the ways in which the brain controls metabolism, body weight and composition.

Is it just me or is it sensationalism?

Is it trying to increasing a certain “cool” around suffering from both of these dreadfully debilitating and life threatening diseases?

Are they already trying to make these terrible illnesses acceptable by using this word so it will become the norm in years to ahead? I can honestly hear it now…. “We won’t want our children to feel different so we had best invent a word and make it commonplace by the time they start to suffer from the issues” Issues that the powers that be would be concentrating on curing now, if only the monetary benefits to huge drug conglomerates weren’t so spectacular as they forecast sales of controlling medication to these future generations….

People, I understand that this word has been around for many years but it really was news to me and I honestly feel such a divisive word requires looking at because it is too dreadful to keep in our vocabulary.

Because of this we must try at all costs to “un-pair” it because if we do not, trust me when I say, pretty soon the two former founding words will individually have no meaning and you won’t be able to be diagnosed with one unless you have the other….

17 thoughts on “Diabesity…. What?

1. thelonelyauthorblog says:

I never heard this word, but it is the perfect term for what is happening here in the United States. It is a shame what is happening throughout the world. We must do a better job of educating our youth to put a permanent end to this problem..

2. spearfruit says:

I had not heard of that word until today. I understand what you are writing here on this post and it bothers and saddens me that our world is leaning toward this. I am not sure what the answer to the obesity issue is. Thanks Cameron for a great post!

Education is the only way and making sure that we move people away from processed foods. I only eat whole foods now. It is a much better way to go for sure so push it as much as I can. Remember if we eat crappy processed foods then have treats we will get fat and incredibly unheathly however, if we eat home made wholefoods following a healthy line then we can have a little blow out every now and then and it makes no odds to us. It is the way forward I am sure. Thanks for reading and commenting as always Terry 🙂

Simplicity is NOT always best. I agree with you Cameron. We shouldn’t create a belief that one “disease” accompanies the other (as if out of our control.) They are DEFINITELY distinct regardless of correlation. Diacardiobesity will be the follow up to this since there is a high predilection for cardiovascular disease as well. Often (not always) behavior is the ROOT CAUSE of disease. Let’s keep our eye on the ball for underlying mechanisms of dis-ease and leave these new vocabulary terms in the closets where they belong. They certainly will not be productive in reducing these growing epidemics.

Diacardiobesity The PERFECT analogy. Nothing more needs to be said.
      The world is on the bones of it’s arse. Give something a label and everyone is happy. We must go back to calling fat, fat and getting to the base root of the issue. It ois simple. Mental heaolth is so tied to obesity it is no longer a thought but a fact. I wonder how many obese people take anti depressants/psychotics…….? I will bet a pound to a pinch of pig poop that the companies who manufacture and supply the mental health meds would not want us to find out….!

great post and one of my fears if I don’t drop the weight and get it under control…..thanks again for the eye opener and everyone should have their knickers in a knot over this topic…happy upcoming weekend…wooo hooo didn’t forget the video, just waiting for the back deck and then I will give movie making a go…..xxkat

• New Journey says:

That’s for sure….I miss the green of California or the res of the world…LOL it is an entirely different way of thinking and living…we have to water the wood if you don’t want it to dry up and disintegrate into dust particles…it may take a few years but with the hot, dry heat its will happen happen…where normally you try to keep wood dry from molding…LOL all sorts of backward thinking….I was told the other day if I go to the store in the middle of the day, when its really hot out, worry more about finding shade, that’s a laugh, and to park your car so the rear is in the sun, otherwise you can’t touch the steering wheels to drive away…little things I never have, ever, had to think about…..it will definitely be a learning curve…but we are determined to learn….the bitchy neighbor next door makes it sound like no one but her can live here….we will show her!!!