What On Earth Is Going On!!

Good morning world and thanks for tuning in to the end of the week here on Planet Magnet!

Woo Hoo!!

It is finally Friday!!

I for one am going to enjoy my weekend and it is pretty well planned out so far, starting with a trip to the theatre this evening to see Agatha Christie’s Mousetrap – the longest running show/stage play ever written (or at least I am pretty sure it is…)
Tomorrow is a morning devoted to sorting the different tradesmen at my friends house with an afternoon offering a good old fashioned potter about doing some chores followed by an invite to a Birthday Party in the evening.
Sunday I think will bring a final wrapping up of this leg of the paint stripping with ALL glossed pieces of wood hopefully being brought back to plain wood in order to be sanded, primed, filled, sanded and primed again before a level and smooth coat of gloss goes on. It has been a laborious process but will all be worth it in the end.
Sunday will then be finished off courtesy of a roast dinner at my Mums!
Why is that mums always make the best roast dinners and the best gravy, regardless of who your mum is or the levels of cooking ability? Amazing really and I have no answer for it but what I know is that MY Mum’s IS the best roast dinner out there by FAR!!!

So if that is my weekend taken care of, what is my title all about?

Well, I have to have a little bit of a rant.

About Easter Eggs.

In February.

Last week, yes that would be the end of JANUARY, I was in a local newsagents and and I am afraid to say that I witnessed several shelves of Easter Eggs.

Yes, Easter Eggs.

The sight of which chilled me to the bone.

We have only just put Christmas to bed, yet now shops are already force feeding us with bloody chocolate eggs?

What is that about?

No wonder there is an Obesity epidemic in this country and many others around the world if they are allowed to treat the consumers so badly…

What not just intravenously drip feed us chocolate. We could all walk around hooked up to a trolley, just changing the bag when it runs out. Maybe then these companies might be happy that EVERy man jack and child is consuming their product and plenty of it…

Honestly. when I saw the eggs and chocolate bunnies all stacked up neatly, row after row, I was so annoyed I could have sworn. In fact it has taken me over a week to get my composure enough to write about the sheer disrespect these companies show the consumer.
I mean, the Christmas bunnies would literally have had their places swapped for their Easter counterparts one night at the end of January.

January!

For goodness sakes, if you are someone who has faith and believes in Jesus Christ and the bible, you must be apoplectic with rage and full of disappointment at the sheer commercialism of not even taking a break between Christ’s birthday and his death.
I know I would be.
Personally I am annoyed that these huge confectionary companies treat the world like their own little consumer group treating customers like pigs, rounding them up and guiding us to troughs of their products by making them available at ridiculous times of the year.

All to sell a few more units because someone will see the egg and think “I’ll pick up a couple now and that will save me closer to the time” only to find themselves eating the “early purchase good idea” egg long before the day that it is supposed to be given as a symbol of Christ rising (go figure…) This will mean that the confectionary company get a second bite of the cherry (or should I say egg) and sell yet more chocolate to replace what had previously been purchased thus increasing the sugar in our diets which as we all know leads to obesity, diabetes etc etc.

But then the Government won’t stop them because the Government makes them money in taxes, so all is good. The company gets rich, the shareholders get rich and the government has a bigger revenue stream than usual JUST as long the public at large are damaging their health and making yet more poor food choices loaded with health issue inducing ingredients.

It is a sad time for many.

So you understand when I say “What on earth is going on!”

49 thoughts on “What On Earth Is Going On!!

1. Lynz Real Cooking says:

It is crazy how much these holidays run into one another with no thought at all. We can’t even get through a nice Christmas and we see Valentines day etc. Each one with amazing chocolates and fattening foods! I think things have gotten worst over the years at least since I was a kid! Nice post and ran Cameron!

2. edmooneyphotography says:

Good to see the corporate greed wheels churning away (NOT) I feel your pain mate. I actually work indirectly for one of those companies. Those choclate bunnies were made and sold before christmas. And christmas is normally done and dusted by the end of the summer. 😦

3. milliethom says:

I totally agree with you about seeing Easter Eggs in January! It’s madness – and like you I hate all the commercialism involved with Christmas and Easter in particular. Manufacturers are definitely intent on getting us all hooked on chocolate. As for Sunday dinners, it’s true that everyone’s mum makes the absolute best! I suppose it’s alll about childhood memories. Have a great time at the birthday party tomorrow night. 🙂

The eggs of Satan. Nuff said. Horrors and I would rather live in France wehre the (rather strange) easter bells and other random shapes – you think it I’ll make it – don’t come into the shops til the week before Easter. If they can, we can – just start a campaign to not buy and leave them all with a whole bunch of festering chocolate. They’d think again. The customer is always right because the foolish customer will always buy 🙂

Oh My….Our stores are full of Valentine Candy, thank goodness I haven’t seen any eggs yet….but I am sure they will be out soon…I agree very maddening in deed…I would love to see some pictures of the projects you are working on?? I bet they are worth of ” Ohhhhs & Ahhhhhs”….have a fantastic weekend….enjoy your mums roast…my home cooked classic for my kids is chicken parmesan and tortellini pesto…LOL that’s what they always ask me to cook for them…xxkat

I can relate to your emotions. It seems in some ways we have sold our soul to the devil to profit off other people’s misery. As the consumer continues to hear the truth and begins experiencing the benefits, greedy merchants will no longer profit from these products. It will take a long time to educate and convince, but it will happen eventually.

7. lynne hoareau says:

Hey Cameron, well seems you have a jam packed weekend, great. Yes, mom’s roast’s are always the best. Mom’s food just always tastes so good 🙂 Enjoy your Sunday roast 🙂
    I am with you on the Easter Bunnies and all that stuff, it is ridiculous. It is no better here in South Africa. Great post. Take care.

8. Cathy Lynn Brooks says:

I was shocked to see all the Easter chocolate too. We haven’t even had Valentine’s Day yet! They used to at least have the holidays in chronological order. Have you noticed the new trend of “Halloween” candy disguised as school lunch food?