Archie And The Worlds Biggest Fridge Magnet

Good morning world and thanks for tuning in to another wonderful, bright and sunny day here on Planet Magnet.

I am having a lovely day so far having enjoyed a leisurely breakfast and a walk into the local town where I met a friend for coffee and afterwards, had a wander round the local market place which I am sure you will all agree is quite pretty.

There are a few oddities, one of which has been around since I was a child and probably long before. The Wantage Novel Library is a place that would equal “The Old Curiosity Shoppe” for the sheer peculiarity of it and the fact that no one seems to ever go in there. However it is so ingrained in local history, that when it finally goes, it will be sadly missed I am sure.

Another part of local history is the fact that the Poet Laureate (Poet to the rulingΒ Monarch) Sir John Betjeman lived in Wantage between 1951 and 1972. I have written about Sir John Betjeman before after a park named after him featured in a walk Archie and I did last year, but this time I mention him because of a book he wrote called Archie and the Strict Baptists. Archie was a teddy bear known as Archie Ormsby Gore (well known to be the inspiration to WH Auden giving Sebastian Flyte his teddy bear Aloysius in Brideshead Revisited) and Archie lived in a village near Wantage and went to a Strict Baptist chapel to listen to sermons.
It is a very sweet but quite odd story but it got me thinking about Archie and when I say Archie, I mean OUR Archie, not the teddy bear but the cutest dog on Planet Magnet. Yes, it got me thinking about Archie the Dog and the Worlds Biggest Fridge Magnet.

I have wondered for a while if there would be any legs in a book about Archie and me, the Fridge Magnet and have finally decided that yes, there most definitely would be. I know this is adding even more weight to my already ridiculous schedule of work but I figure everyone would like to see something along those lines regardless of age. I figure I could have an adventure with him and write about it then put it here on the blog as a treat to everyone.

What do you think?

Would it work?

Do you have any ideas of what we could do? bearing in mind Archie does as I say but prefers to spend time with EVERYONE else bar me…. πŸ˜‰

have a think and let me know.

36 thoughts on “Archie And The Worlds Biggest Fridge Magnet

What a lovely town….looks like something right out of the fairy tale books….I was always going to write a childrens story about my Chika…one black eye and one white…basically Chika goes on a walk or shopping or to the beach….never got around to it…Archie looks quite happy above…I think a book about how Archie and you made it through the weight loss journey….all your wonderful walks, and how he is always there to encourage you….such a cute face….kat

2. stephellaneous says:

What a beautiful town and gorgeous photos! Go for it, Cameron. I say go for it – pedal to the metal. What have you got to lose? You’re a fantastic writer, and who doesn’t love stories about boys and their dogs? Communists, that’s who.

3. White House Red Door says:

Love the picture of your Archie! He just looks like he has the biggest personality!!! πŸ™‚ You should definitely write a book about your adventures together. I could even see a children’s book… a story about a boy and his dog and all the time they spend playing outside, using their imaginations, exploring the world (being healthy in mind and body!). Just a thought… πŸ™‚

4. Blair (The Shameful Sheep) says:

Britain/England (Seriously… what is the correct word to use? I don’t even know) looks so much better than the US in pictures haha. Maybe it’s just because it’s different and that makes it more exciting. There’s definitely a book to be written. I’m going to ponder ideas.

Okay, England i the country where I live and Britain refers to the British Isles or Great Britain which means England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Its like the USA referring to all of your states and you living in the state of Carolina. Simple really!
      I appreciate the ponder so I will be back to press for ideas soon…. πŸ™‚

5. lynne hoareau says:

Archie is super cute πŸ™‚ I definitely think a book would be awesome. Your little guy has been with you every step of the way…I know it is easier said than done, but try put some thoughts onto paper…and yes, I know there is not enough hours in a day, but try give it a shot. Have a good one.