Wear Gratitude Like A Cloak

And it will feed every corner of your life – Rumi.

Good morning world and thanks for tuning in to another day here on Planet Magnet. Today is Sunday and as ever, for most it is a time to relax and enjoy a slower pace of life, to be a little more thoughtful and to consider the life you already have as being one that is maybe not so bad after all when we compare it to the terrible things we bare witness to on a daily basis as CNN, Sky News and the BBC like to share with us in a bid to keep up the ratings. Whether is be , war, refugee’s or inclement weather we see it plastered across our screens and it shows us that things are hard, times are tough and because of this we frown, we worry and we turn in toward ourselves hiding away from what we already have in our own lives that can make us happy.

Gratitude
-Noun
–The quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.

Oprah Winfrey was noted to say “Be thankful for what you have, you will end up having more, if you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough”

Between the two I think I would prefer to listen to the words of Rumi and not a multi billionaire telling the poor folks how to feel better about themselves.

What I mean to say, we should all be grateful for what we DO have and not what we DON’T have. I don’t mean it in a “You will get more” way, I mean it in a frame of mind way. A way that makes us feel more positive about ourselves and our own lives. More positive about the word and and where we are in it. Let’s face it, many of us have the privilege to only really experience “First World Problems”. Simple stuff like this chair is too upright, this pair of shoes are too tight, this particular coat is not as warm as my other one and so on.

We must try to look beyond these kinds of issues because let’s face it, they really don’t compare to some of the problems we see broadcast across our screens everyday.

What we must do is look at our lives on a daily basis and be grateful for what they offer us. We must be happy with ourselves because only when we are happy with ourselves can we truly be happy.
Personally, I try to wake each morning and alongside “waking” my body with some small exercises I try to think about my life and realise that I am grateful for so many things. I am warm, I am healthy, I have a roof over my head, I have a car to get me about,I have friends and family who love me and most of all I am happy I am on a wonderful personal journey of my own that is changing my life beyond all recognition.

Yes we must be grateful for the material things in life, the big TV, the nice computer, the designer clothes but these things do not enrich our lives any more than their less expensive counterparts. I personally am lucky enough to have some of the above things but they are in no way the most expensive available. Like many I work to a budget and buy what I can afford. Yes they make me happy but they do not define me, yes they make my life more comfortable but they no longerย fill any hole or plaster over any cracks in my emotions.
We must start to be more happy with ourselves and not worry about what others have, what advertising agencies tell us we should buy and certainly not how peer pressure might make us believe we must behave in a certain way because until we are truly happy with ourselves, we are never going to be relaxed enough to realise that there is more to life than the next big thing.

I know it is going to be difficult to take the “I” or the “ME” out of everyday but “I” for one am going start to try.

32 thoughts on “Wear Gratitude Like A Cloak

Very interesting experiment to try. We often think everything is about us, don’t we? I think most of us do anyway – and really need to let that go.

On a side note, I’ve tried 3 times now to donate via your link and my bank continues to block the site, call me because they think it is a fraudulent charge, and then tell me that they will remove the flag and I should be okay to process a donation. This unfortunate cycle has happened three times now. Ugh. Is there another way for me to get a donation to you? This constant cycle is driving me crazy! While I do appreciate the extra security measures, the living of the flag clearly isn’t happening.

How weird that is! I have had zero problems raised by anyone else. I suppose that it is good in some respects that there is this kind of care going on on your account but very annoying that they appear to let you down when they say it is resolved.
      The only thing I could suggest is to try to make a payment via Paypal?
      I would rather no monies come direct to me or to anyone else and would prefer all monies to go to the Just Giving page.
      That is about all I can suggest Janell, sorry ๐Ÿ™‚

A wise man (from Wantage actually) once said to me that he couldn’t understand people lusting after cars. Because whatever it is within a couple of weeks it’s just ‘the car’. I think this applies to most things. Of course I have felt that nauseating lust for something I want or a house or a holiday but generally, being a poor girl, I have had to move on and in so doing, quite magically, content comes through the door. Being grateful for what I am, what I have (not things but being loved, and loving those close to me, all five senses, health) is essential to the state of contentment. A lovely lovely post, by the way ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you Fiona. I have no idea why it came along apart from maybe a conversation with my Mum about my next car with her saying the immortal words “It’s just a bloody car” and me replying “Yes, but I like cars so if I am to spend a large amount of money on one then I want it to be as nice and I can get”
      All that said though, I lust after things and when I rerun the scenario of owning it over and over in my mind, I realise there really is no need so I talk myself out of it just as easily.
      That is within reason of course and NEVER with my cars…!
      Hope the weather is not too bad over there today and the brunt of the weather front has moved on.
      Be well!

3. spearfruit says:

Cameron, wonderful post. I believe this is difficult for many people; there are those that see the material possessions as objects to express who they are – but they are never happy. Thanks for sharing – have a great day! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. SimpleLivingOver50 says:

I am grateful for this wonderful post. Sometimes it is so easy to get side tracked into believing that the world around us is falling to pieces, when in fact it is doing just fine. What may be suffering is the News corporations profit margins. You just have to sit down and take a good look around at all of the wonderful things in your own life and realize that life is pretty good.

I agree emphatically with this. I look at the bile that is spewed on a daily basis and for that reason alone I do not buy a newspaper and very seldom watch the news unless it it is a sensible un-sensationalised take on what is going on. We must learn to be happy and look towards ourselves, that way many more will become happy too.
      Thanks for such a wise comment Billy.

Good Morning from Arizona my Scottish friend….great post…good message……I too, wake up every morning and am grateful for what I have and that I am able to sit up, stand up and walk away from the bed….it was when I turned forty….not only did I get the F -Y attitude about life, I also took inventory of who and what I am and had….I began to understand it wasn’t how much, or how big, but how you looked at life and handled life….from then on its been all about less is best and helping others, saying thank you more often, and just being happy to be where I am in life and with what I have….we are trying to be more grateful for what we have….it doesn’t take much to make you really happy….hope your Sunday is going well….I am headed to the grocery store, hanging up laundry and getting the side of the house outside ready for concrete…..I am very grateful you are my friend and thank you for always being so kind…..xxkat

Wow! What a lovely comment to make Kat, you are a super sweetheart of a lady for sure and I appreciate and am grateful for all of the comments you make and the fact your are my friend on the blogosphere.
      Life is indeed made better with gratitude and being good to your fellow man and if we were more able to do this our world would be a happier place without all of the angst and hate we witness.
      Take I have had a great day. Breakfast and a walk with my friend, doing some paint stripping prep and then a trip to the cinema to Revenant (what a movie and De Caprio is VERY good) followed by pizza at home! I haven’t had pizza in nearly a year I reckon and it was LUSH!!
      Back to the grindstone tomorrow though….!

6. White House Red Door says:

I love the definition you chose to include, especially “…readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.” To return kindness. The world would be a much better place if we all just followed the golden rule, “Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.” It’s pretty simple… this is what we teach our children. How is it that we grown ups screw this up?!?

Because the world we live in dictates how we live our lives and become insular and shut off from the world turning more to our own tribes and not to the tribe of mankind. Children are able to do this because they don’t have the bullshit bombarded at them as we grown ups do but unfortunately they soon learn from us and start to perpetuate the issues….

• White House Red Door says:

It’s interesting because I feel like the world is a much smaller place than before, with people from around the globe interacting directly with one another (like right here, for example!)- reaching outside their “tribes” in positive and meaningful ways. However, I agree with you- we have become more insular- but I would say it sadly goes beyond turning inwards towards our tribes, we’ve become so insular our focus is solely on ourselves. I think about all the selfies, selfie sticks, reality TV, social media, etc that perpetuate this notion of self importance and narcissism. Ugh! I am so sorry… I am stepping off my soapbox. Back to your original point, thank you for reminding us of the power and beauty of gratefulness!

DO NOT apologise! I agree with you SO much! The world is FULL of people who’s only aim is to enforce themselves on the public and these people usually have the least to say and are HATEFUL individuals and I ffirmly believe they could do with an injection of restraint and common decency along with a massive check of gratefulness.
        I agree with you!