To B12 Or Not B12? That Is The Question…..

Good morning everyone and thanks for tuning in to Planet Magnet once again for your daily dose of rambling half sense and poignant thoughts.

Yesterday was B12 time again.

The three months since that last injection has passed so quickly, it is quite remarkable to even I doubt if you will actually remember but three months ago, I got my B12 Shot AND my Flu Jab and I reckon they counteracted each other and produced a super slow virus that made me feel rubbish but able to keep going…. Not that I’m a scientist or nothing…. 😉
So hopefully this months injection will turn me into the Bionic Man and I will feel completely amazing and be able to whizz through all of the tasks I have left to achieve before the big day comes next week.

I won’t actually go into the details of how the B12 helps but suffice to say it is very important to us post Bariatric patients. It helps with red blood cells, helps process folic acid so we don’t become anaemic and it also helps to release energy from the food that we eat.

Important stuff then!

The problem is that since the operation I do not really make enough of it myself because I cannot process enough of the foods that contain it such as Meat, Fish and Dairy. Yes these are prevalent in my diet as you guys well know but they are on a much smaller scale now so I need these little boosting shots every three months in order to keep my levels topped up.

The good thing about getting the shot is that I should immediately feel the benefit within a few days and start get my energy levels back up to what an ordinary persons would be, although I am not too sure if it will be very noticeable because I am also taking a B Complex vitamin that will be boosting all of the above things already.

Yes, it would be nice to get all of the requisite vitamins and minerals I require for my diet alone and to be honest, now I am eating a good deal more veg than I have ever done before I should imagine my levels of all essential minerals and vitamins will be at the highest they have been in years. Actually, I was speaking to the Nurse (my lovely friend Jayne) yesterday evening after the injection and I recall telling her how great I feel since I have added some veggies into my diet and the full effect of any alcohol has completely left my system (as it should have done now after over 6 weeks without imbibing….)

I also hope that any lethargy I feel is simply from an increase in activity due to helping my friend with her house, whilst keeping all of my other plates spinning (blogging, writing, walking, gymming etc etc) Mind you, I much prefer to be busy than sitting around bored with nothing to do because that REALLY makes the time drag and gives my mind time to wander off in search of issues that don’t exist.

What is it they say? A busy mind is a happy mind? I think I can concur and now I have the extra energy from todays shot, I am hoping that an energised body leads to an energetic life.

27 thoughts on “To B12 Or Not B12? That Is The Question…..

1. edmooneyphotography says:

I could do with a few doses of that B12, it sounds great. But you can keep that nasty Flu jab. Im one of those strange people who just cant trust all these vaccines that they try to convince you to take.
    Right or wrong, I would rather take my chances and let nature take its course.

Oh by the way, I tried that recipe last night, damn it was delicious, although I went a little overboard on the Chilli’s, must of downed 2ltrs of water trying to finish it. 🙂

2. merewoman says:

What are your feelings about lentils and chickpeas, which are both good sources of protein and rich in iron and vitamins? Not vitamin B12, you need a supplement for that. Are you able to digest them?

Their anti-social side-effects can be minimised by adding a pinch of asafoetida, AKA Devil’s Shit.

I take a sub-lingual B12 daily as part of my vitamin regimen post-op. I do notice immediate energy after taking it (I take it in early afternoon when my energy feels a bit depleted), but often wonder how the shots compare. Regardless, last time I had blood work it showed my B12 was high so they told me I could back off of it and take it every other day. I haven’t noticed anything differently thankfully but also don’t get that burst or reinforcement except for every other day. I hope you feel energized and ready for another 3 months of getting stronger and stronger!

I must admit I am feeling quite energised today, even if I can’t stop yawning!
      B12 rocks for sure. I take a complex of B vitamins everyday so am not really very sure to be honest Janell, it may be a placebo effect or it may be energy in a bottle. I do feel good today. My mood is elevated, I am relaxed and I feel like I could work out if required, although I won’t because I am tasking myself with being lazy today…..

Good Day my happy, healthy, lean fighting machine friend….couldn’t help myself…lol I take vit B daily, but then again I didn’t have the surgery you did….but I am so glad that your physician has all the bases covered…I have known friends that had the surgery and then there is no follow up…they just left them up there own device..not fair in my opinion…I think that the aftercare really depends on your MD and being an advocate for yourself over here….so happy your feeling your oats…..my husband had the flu shot and the pnueovax booster and he was one sick man!!! never again will he get both at the same time….the MD told us there wouldn’t be any after effects….I kick myself because I knew that wasn’t true……Aggghhhhh!!!! oh well he is better and up and at em once again…..sending you Holiday Cheer across the pond….kat.

Thanks Kat. Yes I am a happy healthy lean fighting machine!
      We are very lucky that we are followed up after surgery. It actually goes on for two years until they are happy with you and you can continue to go in after that should you wish so the aftercare its really quite something.
      Glad the old man is back on his feet, I felt the same when I had my flu shot so I know how he feels.
      A holiday wish and special thought goes back over the pond to you both 🙂

5. fattymccupcakes says:

I used to get a B12 shot weekly. There is a super awesome local place where you can go, get jabbed, pay, and leave. No appointments, in and out. Of course, it is a registered nurse and it is totally legit. I found that I had increased energy and I slept better at night. As for the weight loss benefits, I lost a few pounds, but since I never stuck to an eating plan during that time, I can’t say if I would have seen increased weight loss or not. I stopped doing it because $20 a week grew expensive. Back in the 70’s my mom got B12 injections and lost a ton of weight.

Really? That is incredible to think that you can get the shots so easily. Here in the UK you have to see the Doctor and there has to be test and a reason for any medication.
      NO other way unless it’s illegal OR expensive!
      I do feel like I have more energy for sure, much more in fact but I am pretty shattered at present and am looking forward to next Monday morning when I can get a lie in….. Oh a lie in, what a wonder that will be!!

Pretty much. I am helping my very dear friend with her house. She has had a band of feckless builders working on it since February and they have only just today finished all of their work leaving the electrician and the plumber to finish their final pieces. This means now they have nearly done I will go round and put up lights and install wifi and ethernet networks along with Smart TV’s and all the other pretty things she wants doing etc This evening I helped her clean it again (for the third or fourth time now) so she can put some semblance of order in there. It is 11.30 at night and we are just home from doing this…. The reason I say Monday is because I shall be early there tomorrow and Saturday to do the rest of my work and then Sunday I have to take a friend down to London to collect a sofa that my brother is giving away. We will have to leave early so we get to the house before it is emptied by the removal men!!. This therefore leaves Monday to be my first day of a lay in.
        I hope that all makes sense. My brain hurts and I haven’t even written tomorrows blog yet!

6. Lynz Real Cooking says:

you are doing such an amazing job Cameron! It is so interesting to hear about your journey and what happens each step of the way! Can I ask how much you have lost now? I am so excited that you are liking veggies and trying new things! I now love many new things that I never bother trying! Lynn

Blimey, isn’t that odd? I have never heard of someone with too much Iron in their system. I suppose it can be just as difficult to manage as not having enough.
      Obviously I am a little low on out because of the operation but to naturally occur we just add a supplement or change the diet, he must struggle greatly with food choices.

How long did they tell you to remain on injectable B12? Although oral forms are less absorbable you will eventually switch over to them. Metagenics makes a supplement called Intrisi B12/Folate. It contains intrinsic factor necessary for B12 absorption. I am NOT affiliated with this company in any way. I know from clinical research it is a better B12 that is not destroyed by the acids in the stomach like many others. Just thought I’d pass the info on to you.