A Little Christmas Miracle….

Good morning world and thanks for tuning in to another day here on Planet Magnet.

Not a great deal to report today apart from the fact that yesterday I ate Cauliflower Cheese and a Roasted Parsnip. A Christmas miracle indeed because I have never wanted to eat Cauliflower before in my life!

The wonders will never cease.

What is happening to me, and how did it happen?

Well yesterday I took mum out for lunch as it was her birthday. Lunch was at a friends Gastro Pub by the name of The Star Inn situated in Sparsholt near Wantage, a pub that has been getting rave reviews and rightly so because the food is amazing. After perusing the menu I plumped for the venison. It arrived on a bed of Curly Kale with a Roasted Parsnip on top, three Roast Potatoes surrounded this and at the edge of the plate was the Cauliflower with some cheese sauce and cheese atop it. Not a great deal but enough to give it flavour.

I immediately gave away my Parsnip but as I pushed away the hated Cauliflower, something came over me and I decided to give in and give it a try. I have no idea why I did this but I am so glad I did. It was great.

That is all there is to it.

I then asked for half of my Parsnip back (very cheeky I know but by then I was on a veggie eating spree….) and I loved that as well! I was amazed. I was eating a roast dinner with seasonal vegetables. I could not believe it myself.
I have to say I absolutely enjoyed EVERY mouthful and at the end of it I amazed myself even further because all of the meat had gone, the Parsnip half was gone and all bar some chunky Cauliflower stem had been vamoosed into my belly. All that remained was one and a half Roast Potatoes. A feat NEVER before managed by me as I ALWAYS eat my roast potatoes.

They say that the taste buds change after the Gastric Sleeve Surgery and I freely admit I was a little sceptical at first but I am now beginning to think there may be a shred of truth in it…. 😉

Anyway, lunch was eaten, bills paid, goodbyes made and once we had returned home from the lovely lunch and chatted for a while, Mum remembered she had my Christmas card so duly handed it over.
You probably know me enough by now to know that I would not normally share this, but it tickled me so much, I thought I had better do it justice and get it out there because it is SO apt to all of us, it is quite remarkable…!

IMG_2774.JPG

That’s all for today folks. Have a great start to your week and check back in soon as there is always something to share…. 🙂

45 thoughts on “A Little Christmas Miracle….

1. merewoman says:

Watch out – you’ll be moving on to Brussel Sprouts if you’re not careful. 🙂

I hope you will continue to enjoy your journey into the wonderful world of vegetables. Try roasted Mediterranean veggies – there are plenty of recipes on line.

If you have any spare roasted parsnips, please send them this way.

2. itsathought2 says:

I found that food tasted different to me after the gastric bypass. Old favorites didn’t taste as good and foods I either didn’t like or were just meh were suddenly wonderful. It was like I got a new mouth or something.

Love that card …. it reminds me of an amazing woman called Judy I knew years ago. Fond of a glass or several, when she had too much she would often look heavenwards and shout at her God ‘I told you – thick hair, thin legs and you go and reverse it you b’stard’. Always made me laugh!

I’m not convinced we need to give credit for your dietary changes to a surgical procedure. I think you have all the right in the world to step back and take a bow for following a new path that is creating a new life filled with new opportunities. Keep munching on those vegetables. Stay healthy and happy.

Hummm all I want for Christmas is a bag full of vegies…sounds good to me…you are going to have to try cauliflower mash…instead of mashed potatoes….really yummy….and parsnips have been on my table since I was little….they were my mums favorites…they are even good peeled and eaten like carrots….I think you would love stuffed cabbage rolls…sometimes I use grape leaves or chard or bok-choy….give it a try…another world of yum….the stuffing can be anything you so desire, rice, meat mixture, what ever rocks your boat…..and bake in the oven in a tomato sauce…..love the card…..kat

6. fattymccupcakes says:

I love me some cauliflower with cheese sauce! The best! As for the venison, I don’t think you could have made me eat that! Good job on feeling more apt to try healthier options. If there was someway to make me not crave cupcakes and any carb, that’d be great. Someone needs to work on that!

7. jsackmom says:

That sounds like a lovely day to have with your Mom. I love roasted veggies I eat them that way on the grill and have been experimenting with them in my oven broiler. I haven’t opened a can of veggies in such awhile. Fresh is best in my opinion although I never seem to cook beans well so canned it is. 😊

• jsackmom says:

It’s so good for you and tastes so much different. While maintaining higher vitamin and mineral values. My oldest is a veggie lover he’ll come up and grab the romaine lettuce I’m cutting and eat it up like a bunny. 😉 My youngest will devour carrots, I’m working on food modelling techniques to increase his list of veggies. Always a work in progress but it’s part and parcel with his neurology. I never give up though because I know how beneficial it is for my kids to have healthy eating habits. 😊

• jsackmom says:

Oh yes I can do that I’ve been food modelling with my son who has texture issues as part of his sensory disorder. It’s been hit and miss but I’m starting to see some progress as he gets more therapy for his fine and gross motor skills. New synapses in our brain’s are created when we learn and try something new. It’s all neurological when it comes to helping my son with accepting a new food. I trick the brain so to speak, and desensitize the palate and describe foods by texture. Eg: we’re going to eat crunchy carrots, smooth yogurt, mushy potatoes. If I prepare my son for a word to describe the texture of the food his brain can prepare for it. Before I was telling him it was yummy, tasted good, or was good for him and that worked sometimes and backfired with others. I keep a food journal and I’ve been able to keep track of foods that he loves, tolerates, and scare him. Next will be his referral to a nutritionist to help me and his OT expand his repertoire a little more past 10-15 foods. He has 5 safe foods and a lot more that scare him. There’s a neurological disorder called Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID) and I will getting my son assessed for it.

Oh goodness me. I am so glad that you understand your sons disorder and are taking steps to help manage it. It must be tough on the little chap. I had never heard of it prior to you talking about it so it is rather interesting to learn. Good luck with the modelling and descriptive words, it sounds like although it s hard work teaching him to like new foods, it could also be fun!

• jsackmom says:

It’s a lot of work but the progress he’s making since he started preschool and working with his therapy team have been wonderful. My son has taught me so much about the world and how he sees it. I have a greater appreciation of how our brain, body, and central nervous system work as the result. It can be difficult at times but he’s getting older and able to cope better. He’s my superhero that’s for sure. 😃