There’s Always Something New….

Good morning world and thanks for tuning in to my correct post time. Hopefully this post will see me back on track and starting to get things back to normal where you rise in the morning and find my latest tome awaiting you for consumption along with your coffee… or tea for that matter ๐Ÿ˜‰

This morning I would like to talk about the fact that I tried two new things for the first time EVER in my life, and thus prove that you are never too old to learn or never too old to have a new culinary experience.

For the past two evenings a dear friend of mine has come to my house and cooked because over the past couple of weeks I have been helping her to keep a modicum of sanity with a house renovation whilst feeding her of an evening because she has no kitchen of her own in which to create her much loved healthy food. To say that she has become somewhat of a disavowed Impossible Mission agent would probably be close to the truth as she works each day to get her life back and everything in order so that she might finally settle in her new home and start her new life. Until such times she has had to rely on staying in the safe house (also known asย my apartment) where she has been coming and going under cover of night, looking over her shoulder and getting regular status updates on her electronic devices. All very cloak and dagger…..

Well, anyway, enough of that fantasy nonsense. The crux of the story is that my pal has been coming to me each night for dinner whilst she puts inย the final pieces of the puzzle she calls home. To that end I have always cooked because I like to look after her, but because I was so tired last night and Tuesday night, she took control of the menu and the preparation and thus introduced me to two new food stuffs. Foodstuffs that I would NEVER have considered at any time in a previous life.

On Tuesday evening it was Sprouting Broccoli. Before that day I had never put Broccoli to my lips before in my life, but cooked al dente and with some cracked black pepper on it, WOW! I absolutely loved it. It was amazing. I honestly thought I could never eat such a thing and honestly thought I never would eat such a thing not at least without the gag reflex kicking in and me turning the clock back nearly 50 years to when we were made sit at the table and eat cold veggies, by mean spirited child minders.

Convert.

Last night was equally as novel a thing to pass my lips as the night before and came in the form of a Spaghetti Squash.

Spaghetti Squash? I had never heard of it before let alone tasted it before! But it came served with some onions, garlic and mushrooms along with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and I was hooked!

It was lovely!

Touchdown.

What amazed me most of all was the fact that after years of never really going near the vegetable aisle in Waitrose, I am quite often seen punting around looking at the Celery, Beans and now it looks like Squash and Broccoli will become part of that browsing list. How is that my taste buds have changed so dramatically? Is it age or is it the operation? I always remember my Mother telling me how my Father used to eat vegetables but always drowned them in HP Sauce. I was amazed at this but was told it was throw back to the days when he was at sea and the cooking left a good deal to be desired. Now I wonder if he used the sauce to disguise the flavour as he almost forced himself into liking the vegetables as his taste buds adapted or changed.

I now wonder if I am now going through this self same change and will finally be able to look at broadening my culinary horizons in the form of fresh vegetables. I should certainly hope that to be the case because for years I was a fussy eater. Never any veggies as most people know it. Occasionally coaxed into some green beans but very little more. For me, Sunday lunch was always usually just meat and potatoes with some processed peas taken under duress. But maybe now I can start to become friends with the foodstuffs that for years I treated as my enemy… Maybe now I can add a whole new setย of culinary skills to my cooking Arsenal.

And all because a friend was dispossessed.

I know it’s probably not great forย her toย still be awaiting a “moving in” date, but it certainly has made a big difference to my life by having her cook.

They say that people come in to your life for a reason and I honestly do hope she is in mine for more than Spaghetti Squash, but if not, what a legacy to leave behind…. ๐Ÿ˜‰

57 thoughts on “There’s Always Something New….

1. edmooneyphotography says:

Never a big fan of the veggies, probably like yourself as a result of the childhood trauma of being forced to eat the bloody things. Still not a big fan of the humble squash. But i will regulary add the broccoli to meals, its a big sourse of protein and aint actually too bad on the taste buds ๐Ÿ™‚

I know right? What was it with people making you stay at the table until you had eaten stuff that was rank?
      But then that behaviour was okay in the 70’s because the ones that made us do it were used to growing in post war austerity where every mouthful counted.
      I have to be honest Ed, I am totally with you on the bulk of veggies but am learning to get into them for sure.
      Give the squash a try, there are loads of recipes with butter and garlic etc so you might be surprised….

Thats the way Ed, you have to dip the old toe in every now and then, it is how we learn to progress. Sweet potato is lovely when chopped and baked in some coconut oil or when turned into mash with mustard. That squash was amazing made with the mushrooms, onions and garlic and although I am yet to head toward turnip, I don’t mind it chopped up small and put in with a Cottage Pie…..

2. trimonkey says:

Absolutely love veggies – simply steamed or embellished with a few tasty condiments, either way I’m a huge fan. I have to admit though the spaghetti squash has eluded me all these years so I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for the idea Camster.

It’s so lovely. Cut in half and baked upside down for 40 or so minutes. Then scrape the contents out with a fork and it is stringy. Add to a pan that already has your cooked mushrooms, onion and garlic in it, fry all together and tope with a little Parmesan…. Lovely!

As we open our eyes to a healthier lifestyle we become more open to understanding the changes (in this case food choices) needed to achieve it. It becomes easier to see healthier foods as a positive source of life enhancing nutrients. The brain becomes more willing to give these foods a chance of acceptance. Just wait and see how far you extend your options. This becomes a new source of FUN!

Both staples of mine … in fact one of the family jokes is my love of squashes heaped in a basket decoratively on the dresser when we lived in Oxfordshire. We ate them (pumpkins, butternuts, acorns, spags and all) over winter in a multitude of different ways. Italian broccoli (which is what you are talking about) is quite different and in my view much better than what my eldest daughter referred to as ‘trees’ when she was small. Vive les legumes – why not set yourself a mission unimpossible of trying a new one every week. Waitrose is an alladin’s cave for such a challenge ๐Ÿ™‚ Oh! And! I do hope your lovely friend has her kitchen back soon.

5. Blair (The Shameful Sheep) says:

Wait, Tuesday was the first time you’ve ever had broccoli? My parents forced me to eat it when I was young, but now I love it. Mmm. So yummy. But, I’m a veggie fan in general and most of my grocery shopping is done in produce. Spaghetti squash and turkey meatballs = one of my favorite healthy dinners of all time. Eat it!

I will definitely try the Spag Squash and Turkey MB’s They sound delish…..
      I was quite lucky as a youngster after my terrible cold rotten in the middle brussel sprout ordeal and being let off of all the big veggies until Sunday Roast when it was processed peas and green beans at a minimum, but finish those and I was away….!

6. rachaelxoxo says:

I love spaghetti squash! I order it at restaurants here in the states all the time, but I’ve never cooked it myself before because I’m not sure how to go about doing it! I am a culinary novice… Before losing weight, I cooked nothing that didn’t come in a prepackaged, processed box! I’m doing my best to learn as I go! ๐Ÿ˜ณ I’m glad your culinary horizon is broadening! How fun for you!

It is exactly the same here in my house! I didn’t cook food unless it came pre packaged, now I won’t cook it unless I have to prepare it myself!
      If there is something I am unsure of I simply google the product and look up various ideas of how to cook. Simples…. ๐Ÿ˜‰

7. merewoman says:

What is it about broccoli that people think they won’t like? I’ve never understood. I could live on it, with a little melted butter and as you say, cracked black pepper. Sadly, it is on the NO list for people with hypothyroidism, which means I only have it on special occasions.

Spaghetti squash is another favourite veg. I always wonder how they get the spaghetti into the squash without leaving a hole.

Oh my, I had no idea that you and vegies have never really met….the cooking world just opened up for you….one of my favorite ways to eat my veggies is roasted in the oven….I was vegan before vegan existed…LOL 9 years….you will have to try broccoli cream soup…so good!!! and you can actually make it with 2% milk so the calories are not to bad…..spaghetti squash….so yummy…..Oh I am so excited for you…I love vegies….your friend sounds like a food angel…..funny how things work out….think of all the tasty Tuesday recipes yet to come…LOL

Tasty Tuesdays are running through my mind already Kat. My friend will be kept busy coming up with new a wonderful idea’s for sure but I do like the sound of Broccoli Cream Soup….. I also think I may have to try making a Broccoli and stilton one at some point as well….. ๐Ÿ™‚

• New Journey says:

you also need to try cauliflower…it makes a wonder cream soup also, I actually par boil, cut into large piece, then flour, dip in beaten soft egg whites, cook/fry in oil, then pat oil off, add to pan cover with red marinara sauce and bake…OMG is it ever good…..there are also recipes for raw broccoli salad made with crumbled bacon, minced onion, hard boiled eggs….can’t remember the name at this moment, but almost grate the broccoli.I believe the dressing is mayonnaise…..I am so excited for you…I love my broccoli with lemon squeezed on it…most my vegies are eating with a squeeze of lemon, lime or lie shake of some good vinegar…..I also cook down my balsamic vinegar until its very thick and use it drizzled on my vegies…have you ever eaten yams or sweet potaoes…..yum

• New Journey says:

crazy man !!! you’ve been missing out on soooo much….yams baked or I use the microwave and then squeeze an orange over it with cinnamon and nutmeg as a desert…..you can always add brown sugar but I love, love, love brown sugar so I avoid it like the plague….I was raised eating yams like a baked potatoe with brown sugar and butter…OMG heaven!!! Jicama with peeled and squeeze lime over it if you like hot sauce I sprinkle mine with good ole tobasco…..yummy its really good cut up in a salad…adds a good crunch….pick small ones they aren’t as fibrous… and sometimes a little sweeter…have fun…wish we lived closer…I am a vegie nut….LOL

9. merewoman says:

This soup is fantastic. A bowl of glorious velvety golden deliciousness. Very easy, very quick.

Sweat one or two sliced onions in a little butter in a large saucepan over gentle heat until they are soft and transparent. Add butternut squash chopped into chunks, and a couple of chopped peeled cooking apples. Stir to coat with the butter. Pop the lid on the pan and leave over low heat to steam for about 10 minutes. Squash should be tender by then. Add 4-5 cups boiling stock. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Blend. Season. Add a tablespoon of Boursin.

Miam miam. ๐Ÿ™‚