HENRY A Charity To Change Children’s Futures

Good Morning world and thanks for tuning in on another great Friday as it takes us rushing headlong/ meandering slowly (delete accordingly depending on how your day is going 😉 ) into the weekend.
As you may now know, I am now busy on a Friday as I am trying to learn how to write right 😉 although I am suffering a crisis of self belief as I wonder if there is any point in the stories I spin, especially after the struggle I had with my homework and the fact I am beginning to question my ability to actually write creatively. However, I suppose that is a conversation for another time because one thing I do know that I have gotten right is the simple decision to join the ranks of the charity HENRY – Health, Exercise and Nutrition in the Really Young.

I can now honestly say what a great institution it is and how wonderful it is to be involved with so many people who want to help solve the problem of obesity in this country and do it not for recognition but simply for the betterment of our society.

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to be invited to the inaugural HENRY Organisational Learning Event and I was both humbled and awed by the enthusiasm and positivity that each and every person involved showed with their body language and the constant smiles on their faces. In fact, if I may be so bold I think this is one of the first times I have ever been to any kind of function such as this (talks, slides, power points etc etc) where everyone watched and listened intently.

This is because I too found myself doing the same and I can honestly say, possibly to my own embarrassment, that this IS the first time I have ever paid attention when I have been in a church (the meeting was held in a local church hall) for such a long period of time :-/
Everyone who spoke was sincere, engaging and determined to make a difference to the epidemic that is facing the country. We heard from university students who were looking at the success statistics, we heard from trainers who could not believe how well their programs had been received in the various communities around the country, we heard from the quite wonderful CEO Kim Roberts who is so very obviously committed and passionate about the service the charity provides, but best of all we heard from two ladies whose lives have been so dramatically affected by the positive touch of HENRY.
They themselves have in the past received the support they were in desperate need of, they have learned by using the tools that the charity offers to teach parents about nutrition, feeding, portion size, exercise, family time, not eating in front of the TV – the list goes on. But the most amazing thing is they had learnt the HENRY way, taken it on board and helped to implement it further in their own communities, helping other families become healthier and happier as they do so, volunteering their time and efforts so that others might benefit the way they have done themselves.

One of the ladies has even become a trustee of the charity and devotes a good portion of her time, even though she is retraining in social services, along with so many other people who volunteer for this wonderful charity.

As I said a few weeks ago when I decided that this was the charity for me, it was because it’s simply about re-educating the families as they educate their young children. It teaches a lifestyle change for an extended lifetime and if I can help to get that message out to more and more people by the simple activity of walking for a few days then how bad is that? I will consider my time well spent and my time out in the wilds a fair trade if I can offer half as much as the wonderful people of HENRY do each day.

FOOD DIARY:Wednesday 21st October 2015

Qty Measure Food Calories (gr) Protein (gr) Carbs (gr) Fat (gr)
Breakfast 1  75gms  Toasted Rye Bread  143  3.7  36.3  1.1
 2 Mini Muffins Egg, Low Fat Cottage Cheese, Ham Mini Muffins  260  36  8  8
Lunch  1 Small Bowl Homemade Cottage Pie  306  36  21  17
Dinner  1 Small Bowl Homemade Chicken Curry  175  19  13  7
 1  50gms  Wholegrain Rice  70  1.5  12.25  1.5
Snacks  2  12gms  Mini Cheddar Cheeses  100  6  0  8
2  400mls  Latte  210  12  18  8
2 400mls  Tea  11.8  0  0.8  0
Totals  1275.8  114.2  109.35  50.6
Water 3  500mls  Mineral Water  0  0  0  0

So the food on Wednesday was too bad. I achieved what I had wanted to and that was to reduce my carb intake, although it was still over the 100gms that I prefer to keep it under, although I had to allow for those two lattes which had been consumed before my previous days calculations had been made. Calories were good and protein wasn’t too bad although a little low, but on the whole all was okay.

Exercise for the day was unfortunately minimal due to the fact that I spent most of yesterday morning in the classroom and the rest of the afternoon driving around sorting out little bits and pieces, collecting my shopping and finally coming home to write this post for my blog. Because of this all I have for today is the most basic of screenshots from my Jawbone Up2 which shows again that even with only 3,015 steps covered, at least I didn’t spend the day completely sedentary.

IMG_2466

Tomorrow I am afraid will probably be just as neglectful my exercise due to the fact that I am attending my writing class all day and even though there will be a few steps taken as I walk the final part of my journey, I do not imagine there will be many :-/

Stay out of the fridge

27 thoughts on “HENRY A Charity To Change Children’s Futures

It’s a wonderful choice of charity and this is a great introduction to the work that they do. As for your creative writing … stop worrying – people enjoy your work – you are ahead of the game. Writing to a brief is a different thing altogether and it is hardly surprising you struggled with ‘homework’ – I’ll be the whole class did. In the end this is about finding your voice and I hear it loud and clear 🙂

I am very grateful for your thoughts Fiona, I really am pleased to be involved with the charity. It is something that has grown as my ideals have when regarding obesity.
      As for the creative writing, you are again very kind however I am currently sat in class writing this after having dissected a short story by Kate Clanchy. To be honest I wonder when we are asked to read these type of well written stories how well my work measures up. Also there is a great deal of analysing of other authors work and to be honest I start to lose the will to live during this time. Everyone appears “well read” and quote books they know etc yet I sit here dumb having only really read the likes of Dick Francis and Neil Gaimen.
      Is it all a touch pretentious or am I just too stupid….!

• Osyth says:

No! You are just you and this is Oxford 😉 Remember Van Gogh cut his own ear off because his work didn’t match his own ideal – fast forward and his work is the most sort after in history despite his only ever having sold one piece (don’t believe the myth that he sold nothing – it isn’t entirely true). The thing is to know your genre – why do you need to be able to quote Jane Austen or Thackery if you aren’t interested in writing hystericals? You need to know your place, know how you fit into that place and know how you are going to rule that place. End of lesson one. Should I lead a masterclass, praps? 🙂

Me thinks you possibly should do me dear 😉
        Thanks Fiona. I know I am making a meal of it but by christi the amount of pretentiousness today was off the scale! It was as much as I could do not to flip out and walk out!
        Still, I sucked it up and stayed sat however I am now shattered and sitting with a glass of wine (unheard of!) eating some Quinoa salad trying to de stress…..

• Osyth says:

I did worry that this is how it would be (Oxford. University. I rest my case – sorry) …. let’s make something of this and plot and scheme a course for real people – always on the find, me 😉

Curiouser and curiouser… 😉 Monday is afternoon only, Tuesday is free all day so you choose.
        Going back to the course, if I am fair to the course, it makes sense that the examples the tutor used are the best available as there is no point in prompting us to read mediocre stuff otherwise we will think that mediocre is okay for us. No, Julie the course tutor is quite excellent, its the fact I shared the day with 19 women and some of them were a little over zealous with their analysing abilities and I swear if they had to would argue black was white etc. You know the type. What we all forget is until a couple of years ago I was still neanderthal in comparison to how I am so I struggle a touch with biting the tongue although as I say I managed it today… 😉

It is something I have never suffered with until this past week. I have been writing for 7 years now and always managed to get through. I suppose we have simply been studying the great and the good to understand how it all works and that is what has made me so uncertain. After all there is no point in studying the average and the poor as I wouldn’t learn anything!

2. Lisa says:

I wish I had had something like this when Alex was young. Unfortunately, children follow the way of parents in regards to eating, so did he. If I ate cake, I gave him cake, etc. Now, we are correcting those missteps, only it is harder when children get older. What a wonderful charity to be involved in! I know you will do wonderfully! As for the writing, you are doing great! It just takes time to scratch all that out from one’s head and put it down on paper the way you want it. You are doing fine!

Thanks Lisa, you are very kind. Just a bit of overload today I think!
      As for the charity and your experience, that is exactly what it is all about, trying to prevent children “following suit” for want of a better word. It would be good if you could write about it one day Lisa (obviously only if you are comfortable with doing it) we could link it to the blog and the HENRY site I am sure.

This is a very important topic. In my opinion weight management will never be corrected unless we fix this epidemic starting with our children. Parents need to be accountable and (as a doctor) I have helped many in search of viable methods. Addiction to food is as serious as addiction to drugs. Waiting for the latest and greatest diet will forever be a losing battle. There is absolute hope. I have outlined in my blog site realistic approaches to addressing this malady. Once the mindset is ready the challenge is very attainable. Thank you for sharing this article.

Thank you for such a level headed, sensible and reasonable response to this massive issue. I am totally stoked to be involved with this charity and honestly believe that education and not reaction is the key to this epidemic. You are so right that food is a drug. It is as deadly as all other and more easily abused than all others.
      I do not want ANYONE to have to suffer the indignities I did as an obese man so re-educating people and educating their children at the same time is such a great idea that I feel I can do nothing BUT get behind it.
      Thanks for reading and commenting.