An Autumn Festival – Sustainable And Friendly

So on Sunday instead of walking the dog, I attended the local Autumn Fayre. A fund raising event put on locally by several committed members of the community so that aimless folk like me might take a walk around and buy some stuff!

IMG_2347

So after following the signs to one of the local schools, I met some friends and we made our way into the Festival. It turned out to be very food and craft biased. The food of this year was the apple with an apple press taking prize of place meaning there was freshly made (or pressed) apple Juice to be tasted. People were able to bring their own apples from home and their own bottles and make use of the press so they could take a taste of the Autumn Fayre home with themselves. The only problem with the apple press was that it was so over subscribed, I never managed to get a photo of it!
Still no matter, because the first thing that hit you when you went through the door was the smell of curry and boy was it a grand smell.

Freshly made curry for sale complete with rices, sags and dips. They looked absolutely gorgeous and came with as much colour as the curry stand itself.

IMG_2348

Walk a little further into the hall and there were soaps and honey’s.

IMG_2358

Moisturising creams that help with Arthritis

IMG_2359

And yes, of course the ubiquitous marmalades and chutney’s 😉

IMG_2363

There was even a cooking demonstration where the chef made a simple and easy apple pie from some Gala apples and a little puff pastry. So easy, yet so tasty.

IMG_2357IMG_2356

One of the most weird things that I had never heard of before was the Bolitas. Kind of a dough ball but gluten free and tasting of cheese and savouries, it certainly ticked the boxes for me.

IMG_2366

IMG_2350

Of course there was a great deal of information about locally grown produce and some of it was for sale. All local, all sustainable and all natural but plenty of information available.

IMG_2360 IMG_2365

Another thing that was home grown was the talent and there were plenty of bands playing for free helping to keep the day lively and the tempo high.

IMG_2367

Finally, a little trip into the lesser used part of the school found me face to face with something I am usually petrified of. Snakes.

Oh my oh my. I do not like a snake. I’m kind of Indiana Jones phobic levels. They give me the willies!

I dared myself to touch one and decided there and then that I did not like it. The it in question being a great big six and a half stone monster from Borneo. But of course, one of my friends heard the weight and said “Cameron, I will tell you what a great picture would be. You with a snake that weighs almost as much as you have lost in weight” Personally I thought this ridiculous but then other agreed and peer pressure took over. Pretty soon I was standing there with a huge snake wrapped around me. And I will tell you what, I have to be honest the weight was absolutely alarming. How heavy it felt to have it draped across my body, the weight bearing down onto my legs making me realise that several months ago I was carrying that weight and more everyday of my life! No wonder I can skip and dance around like a spring chicken now in comparison to how I once moved.

I suppose that you want to see a picture of me and the snake as well don’t you.

Well here you go, I suppose you had better.

IMG_2352

Lord knows why I’m smiling because I wasn’t at all happy about holding it!

FOOD DIARY:

Qty Measure Food Calories (gr) Protein (gr) Carbs (gr) Fat (gr)
Breakfast  2  50gms  Slices Mothers Pride Toast  230  9  43.8  1.6
2  400mls  Tea  11.8  0  0.8  0
Lunch  1 Small Bowl  Chicken Curry  175  19  13  7
1 50gms  Wholegrain Rice  70  1.5  12.25  1.5
Dinner  1 Small Bowl Cottage Pie  306  36  21  17
Snacks  1  400mls  Latte  105  6  9  4
Totals  897.8  71.5  99.85  31.1
Water 3 500mls  Mineral Water

So food wise on Monday was fairly average. To be honest I wasn’t really that hungry with the lightheadedness creeping back in to stay with me for the day and keeping me pretty much sofa bound. Obviously I did eat but it wasn’t a great deal and was mainly just pre prepared left overs in the freezer so I didn’t have to cook hence the numbers being okay apart from the carbs being a little high due to the toast first thing in the morning.

Exercise yesterday was good. Well at least the walking was. I am still not back at the gym and I am a trifle fed up with it now to be honest. Still, I suppose its the virus just doing its thing and I will be ready to go back when I am ready to go back. I did however manage a nice walk with the dog. Just between 4 and 6 miles seems to be his limit now so I shall have to her this in mind for all future walks. A shame really when you think about it. For years I had him on short walks because I couldn’t manage any more and now I can, he struggles!

Sod’s law!

Anyway, my screenshots from the walk (the walk will be covered tomorrow) are below, as ever Map My Walk providing the information.

IMG_2423

And my steps for the day were counted courtesy of Jawbone Up2 which gave the total of just under 12,000 in the following screenshot.

IMG_2424

35 thoughts on “An Autumn Festival – Sustainable And Friendly

1. edmooneyphotography says:

I just love these little pop up fairs, we dont have enough of them over here.
    As for the snake, WOW, your some brave man, those borneo anaconda’s are monsters. Im not sure I would have been so brave.
    But hey you got a really greay image which will no doubt give youbraging rights for many years to come 🙂

Lovely event, by the looks of it … very impressed that you held that thing – I think close scrutiny reveals that the smile is actually masking abject terror behind the eyes. But your friends are right – it’s a great image to demonstrate the amount you have shifted to reveal your snake hips 😉

I love events like this too minus the snake. Yikes!! How could you manage a smile? I think I’d be wiping the tears -LOL. Great experience though (holding the weight you have lost).

Question about your carbs though – where do you try to stay with daily intake? I’ve always been told under 100g is low carb but I really work to stay under 40g

I try to stay between 60 and 80 although recently I have been hitting over 100gms. The RDA for a male is 220gms so really and truly, even on my worst days I get nowhere near that so try not to get to wrapped up in it. If I am high on Carbs, I usually know where they have come from and understand I can cut them if required.
      40 is VERY low tbh but it depends how active you are. Obviously I am usually very active so don’t mind if I hit 150 because I have burnt them all off without doubt.
      I think it is whatever makes you tick yourself.

• sleeveforme22 says:

Yeah I know mine are particularly low by choice but wondered where you were staying normally because you will reference a day being higher but I always think that your high days are still low by recommendation standards. Now although I keep mine quite low, I don’t let that measurement get the best of me. I still have my light frappuccino with 26g carbs alone when I want. Ha!!

In that case, I would say I like to stay around 60 to 80 on low days and am alright with 150 on heavy gym days although those days are usually bolstered by the fact I take on a recovery drink with is a carb loader of nearly 50gms from 400mls. I suppose the consumption is all relative to what I have done really. I am like you considered when it comes to carbs but I am also realistic to understand that I need them!

4. Julie says:

Loving Bubbles, I have a friend with its twin, a Burmese python appropriately called Custard! My friend takes his beasties, bugs and snakes around local schools and fairs. What put me off was that although Custard is usually very friendly he can sometimes get out if bed on the wrong side,my friend knows when he is in a bad mood and leaves him at home on those days.

Anything in nature is capable of turning out of bed on the wrong side, hence my desire to leave them well alone. I only did it as I was talked into it by my friends and because the said it would be a good way of seeing how much weight I had lost.
      Never again Julie, never again!!

5. Lisa says:

Apart from having to hold a snake (ick, I am right there with you about snakes), it looks like you had a fabulous time! Another great adventure! However, I don’t think I would have done well with the curry. You walk 4-6 miles? WOW! I will be happy when I can walk that far and think nothing of it! Great story!

Hi Lisa, 4-6 miles is a gentle day to be honest. The good walks are 10 to 14 miles really with a quick stroll being a little 2.5 miles.
      You will get there I promise, it is only a matter of time. Consider that 6 months ago I could not walk more than about 50 yards without pain now I am training to walk 170 miles in ten consecutive days next year…..
      Good things come etc etc…

Wow what a colorful little faire, love these kinds of craft faires, you get the best product at them, anyway that’s my opinion…as far as the Bubbles is concerned….your a brave man Cameron…I might of touched it, but wear it….hummm no thanks…but the weight it is amazing isn’t it…I carried to 20# bags of dirt the other day..it was so frigin heavy and to think I was walking around with that on my person…no wonder I was a couch potato…and like you I feel like skipping down the street, if only my knee would let me….thanks for the great share…what a fun Sunday…did you have the curry???? I could almost smell it just from looking at the booth…LOL kat