Healthy Living Equals A Healthy Mind

As I discussed yesterday I have been feeling a trifle gentle in both mind and body but as the week has progressed and the body has started to repair, the mind has been a good way behind it for sure.

As I sit here trying to verbalise how I feel and say what I want to say I admit it is plainly difficult in my current state and I can only put this down to the fact my mind isn’t as clear as it could be and therefore I am struggling.

So I ask myself why is my mind so different today than it was a couple of weeks ago and I only come up with one answer.

I was happy.

Now when I say I was happy I don’t mean “Tra la la la! Everything is wonderful!” I mean I was carrying more of an inner peace but this inner peace has been shattered by the previous weekends activities and the fact I have been laid down with the stomach ailment, both of which mean that I have not attended the gym, walked at pace or walked any distance – all of which are imperative to releasing the feel good endorphins we all enjoy.

Anything that is a poison to the body not only affects the body but also the mind because it is the mind who’s job it is to lift us back up and get us going again when the body doesn’t want to be bothered. It is the mind we rely on in times of distress and need and if it is busy looking at other problems in the body then it becomes apparent we can’t cope with sometimes even the simplest tasks.

I know this is a simplification of a very big issue but it is the only way I can currently put it to be honest. If the body is lazy and out of shape, the mind starts to follow. If the body is fit and active and being treated healthily then the mind is active and sharp and able to deal with most things that are thrown at it.

This is one of the reasons for my current malaise as my latest experience of a healthy mind being affected by an unhealthy body is proving. If we are to really try to understand ourselves and live free from guilt or anxiety we must live healthily in the now which will create our own little utopia and protect us from ourselves because at the end of the day there is only one person that puts the bad stuff in our bodies, tells we can’t be bothered to go to the gym or eat a healthy meal and that is our Chimp, otherwise known as US!

FOOD DIARY:Thursday 10th September 2015

Qty Measure Food Calories (gr) Protein (gr) Carbs (gr) Fat (gr)
Breakfast  1  400mls  Phd Recovery Drink  290 23.04  46.1  0.96
Lunch  1  400mls  Phd Recovery Drink  290  23.04  46.1  0.96
Dinner  1  83gms  Spicy Salmon Filet  208  20  4.2  12.3
 1  50gms  Wholegrain Rice  70  1.5  12.25  1.5
Snacks
Totals  858  67.58  108.65  15.72
Water  3 1000mls Water, Sparkling and Flavoured.  0  0  0  0

So getting over the gastroenteritis isn’t proving easy. I am having to watch what eat and drink very carefully lest I set it off again.The recovery drink has turned out to be a godsend as it offers all the calories and nutrition I need in an easy to digest format and when I add the Diaoralyte to its mixture, it ensures I replace all of the good minerals I would have lost during my week of illness. Some simple fish and rice was also thought to be best as an evening meal when I definitely needed some solid food to be getting into my system.

As of the exercise, well once again I feel it was a bit too soon. I would imagine the first real exercise I shall take this week will be tomorrow and that will be a proper walk with Archie the dog covering a good amount of mileage a bid to getting back to full strength.

As for todays report well once again it is of the Jawbone Up2 and how I did yesterday with my steps and sleeping the night before. Now if we understand that I am looking after Archie the dog for a few days, it makes sense that it will be higher than normal considering he needs regular walks to get out of my apartment to stretch his little legs… So to that end I would say that a total for the day of over 12,000 isn’t considered standard but be under no illusion, none of the steps were taken at pace.

IMG_1901

10 thoughts on “Healthy Living Equals A Healthy Mind

1. Hannargh says:

I would also add that thanks to the lovely endorphins you get from exercise (as well as the personal glow of a good job well done), that exercise can be addictive, and once you aren’t feeding that addiction it can also have a negative impact on your mental health (until you get used to the idea of not exercising and then go back to the old ‘why bother’ attitude).
    You have done really well. Just give your body a chance to get better and you’ll be back on track soon – don’t worry, you’ll catch up again 🙂

2. trimonkey says:

Make no mistake alcohol is a very powerful neurotoxin. It can turn a happy vibrant yeah lets do it attitude ( i speak from much experience here) into a procrastinating melancholic fog! I read recently that there are over a million hospital admissions in this country every year that can be directly related to alcohol consumption and yet ironically it’s the only drug we have to excuse not taking – how wrong is that!! Cheers!!

I love your comparison of how a lazy physical body creates a lazy mind and that vicious circle it creates. You are so right! I’m glad you are on the mend both physically and mentally. Remember it isn’t the falling down but rather how you pick yourself up that counts.

4. chattykerry says:

The most important lesson I learned in losing weight is that it is all about food intake. Now I know that adding exercise helps my mental health and does decrease the desire to eat. I see many people running on the trails who are obese and continue to be. You can’t just exercise and then eat what you want.
    You are on a great path and I still feel fragile…

Absolutely. I have dramatically reduced my intake because of the surgery but I go to the gym four times a week for my mental health and my weight loss and toning. I don’t want lots of baggy skin so in order to stop as much of it as I can I have to workout and keep active.
      I actually needed to address my eating regime when I upped my gym regime because I was running out of steam. Imagine my basal rate is 1300 calls before I do any exercise and I am usually lucky to get that amount in to me so when I exercise and burn a further 1000 cals that really does impact on me.
      But yes there are many people who believe they can eat what they like because they are using the gym three times a week and that is simply a recipe for disaster.
      Sorry to hear you are still feeling under the weather, I hope you get it sorted soon and are back to full strength like I plan to be by tomorrow’s LONG walk😳😳

So glad to see your full post….Ahhhhh your back and at it…I am so happy….don’t be to hard on yourself…learn and live, isn’t that what we have all been taught from birth..?? it happen, its over, it will never happen, I know never say never, but as far as not doing what we just lived through and learned from it….never is the only way to go…hope that made sense….so glad to have you back UK friend….Cameron you were missed…..kat

Thank you Kath, you are a very kind lady for saying so.
      I am trying to live and learn, I shall endeavour to become the man I truly want to be.
      Yes there will be pitfalls along the way but also there will be great days and achievements.
      I cannot go backwards, not after all of this time and what I have achieved.
      Thank you again for your kind words and I trust you are on the mend.